Homemade pesto is so simple and so good. For some reason, the ready made stuff you buy in the store just never seems to approach what you can make at home with basil, garlic, cheese and pine nuts. This recipe adds the delicious taste of peppered bacon to an already awesome dish. To make more of a meal out of this, you can add cooked chicken and/or cooked peas.
Bowtie Pasta with Peppered Bacon Pesto
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 2½ cups (about 4 ounces) fresh basil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp Peppered or other flavor Bacon Salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 pepperoncinis, seeded and sliced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
Bring a large
saucepan of salted (with Bacon Salt) water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook
according to package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the pasta cooking water, then
drain the pasta, return it to the pot and set aside.