We got this recipe from a Bacon Salt fan here in Seattle. What's interesting about it for vegetarians is the use of the combination of fake bacon - aka Fakon - which usually tastes like cardboard with Bacon Salt to give it a real bacon taste while keeping the bacon texture. This may be the first recorded use of this combination. Enjoy!
Bacon Salt Potato Salad (from MJ Pittman - thanks MJ!)
[VEGAN VERSION IN PARENTHESES]
- 6 LARGE russet potatoes baked, cooled peeled and cubed. Tastes better than boiled potatoes.
3 cupfuls of mayonnaise or more as needed. Will most likely need more. Can use lite mayo.
The whole 30 oz. jar will do nicely...Hellmann's is the best. [VEGANNAISE OR EGGLESS MAYONNAISE]
- 1 very finely diced small red onion...1/2 cupful
- 1/2 cupful of finely minced crisp sour pickle...Used Fahrman's
- 4 hard boiled eggs finely chopped [MOCK EGG: 1/2 cupful of finely diced soft tofu and about a teaspoonful of tumeric PLUS 1 tspful of nala kamak or Indian black salt, for that eggy smell and taste.]
- 1 Tablespoonful of celery seed, NOT celery salt.
- Cracked black pepper to taste...really don't need much salt in this recipe.
- 1/2 heaping cupful of crumbled bacon plus a little bacon grease - Yes, bacon grease - or Hickory Bacon Salt. [Vegan mock bacon that has been baked to crispness & Hickory Bacon Salt to taste and ZERO bacon grease.]
- Yellow mustard (and pickle juice) to add a little more color and tanginess. Honey mustard or spicey brown mustard is also OK here. Dijon doesn't quite fit in...about 1/4 cupful.
- A couple of tablespoonfuls of Worcestershire sauce
- A few dashes of Tabasco - if you want a little extra spice. (optional)
- Paprika...about a tablespoonful. HOT Hungarian.
In a large bowl:
Combine the mayonnaise, chopped onion, pickle, eggs, celery seed, bacon plus flavorful grease. A little bit of cracked black pepper for just a speck.
Add at least a couple of tablespoonfuls or more of sour yellow mustard and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce (hotsauce optional) PLUS shakes of paprika, so that it's noticeable.
Carefully fold in the cubed potatoes w/o breaking the cubes, adding pickle juice for extra moisture as needed. Allow to rest, covered with plastic wrap or in a non-reactive container. Keep cold until ready to serve, giving it one good stir before setting it out on the picnic table. May garnish with more paprika, crumbled bacon and/or Bacon Salt.
[Combine the mayonnaise, onion, pickle, mock egg, celery seed, mock bacon, Bacon Salt, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper and paprika - Tabasco sauce optional...Fold in the cubed baked potatoes...and follow as directed above.]