We tried lots of things with Bacon Salt this year during Thanksgiving. To avoid the risk of overkill, we didn't do this all at once, but spread it out among our friends - and got great reports on how things turned out.
Here's a great gravy we loved that you can use for your next turkey or chicken feast. Apparently there were other even bolder moves, including KISW The Men's Room's Thrill using Bacon Salt on his turkey (at his wife's urging - he's obviously got a keeper) and someone making a pie flavored with Bacon Salt (haven't gotten the recipe yet).
Turkey Gravy with Bacon Salt
- Sautee 3 shallots in 1-2 tbsp olive oil in a frying or sauce pan.
- Deglaze roasting pan with 2-3 cups of dry white wine. Pour into frying or sauce pan with shallots.
- Add 2-4 cups turkey or chicken stock, 2-3 tsp of dried sage and 2-4 tbsp any flavor of Bacon Salt.
- Add 1/4 cup flour, mix well with whisk before turning to medium high heat. Allow gravy to thicken.
- Add more flour if necessary to reach desired thickness.
- Season with black pepper and more Bacon Salt to taste.
I used a liberal dose of Hickory Bacon Salt in the above recipe and it was amazing!